Insurance for Artisans and Contractors in Massachusetts
You’ve worked long and hard to grow your business — and here at Gilbert Insurance, we want to make sure your livelihood is protected. For over 65 years, Gilbert Insurance has worked extensively with local artisans and contractors to make sure they have the insurance coverage their unique business requires. And today, we want to share our knowledge and experience with you!
The Gilbert Insurance team has worked with a wide range of artisans and contractors including:
- General Contractors
- Plumbing and HVAC
- Carpentry and Floor Laying
- Roofing and Siding
- Masonry, Stonework and Tile Setting
- Landscape Gardening
- Painting and Paper Hanging
- And many more!
In general, we recommend a business owner’s policy (BOP) for many of the small business owners we work with. A BOP provides core insurance coverages in a single, convenient insurance package. They include:
- Property Insurance protects both your business’ physical assets, such as tools, equipment, inventory or computers, while on premises. Property insurance also provides coverage for any improvements and betterments that you make as a tenant to your workplace.
- General Liability Insurance covers costs that arise if someone is injured at your business or by using your products or services. For example, if someone were to slip and fall on your worksite, general liability insurance could cover any resulting medical or legal bills up to the limit of your policy.
- Business Interruption Insurance or business income insurance covers the loss of income and profit that a business suffers after a covered loss. This can also help cover expenses like payroll or the cost of renting equipment or office space.
Gilbert Insurance agents have the expertise and experience to tailor an artisan contractors BOP for your specific needs. For example, under the general liability portion of your business owner’s policy, we may advise including an extension endorsement, which would include additional insured coverage on a blanket basis. Many of our contracting clients are required by contract to provide evidence of insurance with additional insured wording, naming their client and or general contractor as an additional insured under their policy. Gilbert Insurance will help you review your contract to make sure the coverage you have is sufficient to meet your obligations. We will also provide risk management services in order to help protect you.
Artisans and contractors face unique risks — that’s why in addition to a BOP, we offer more coverages to protect you and your business. Additional coverage options include,
- Workers Compensation Insurance provides wage replacement and medical benefits to employees injured during the course of employment.
- Commercial Auto Insurance is a vehicle insurance policy that provides financial protection for a business’ vehicles and its drivers.
- Inland Marine Coverage protects property in transit or while at a job site and can include equipment, tools, stock and more.
For excess liability and added coverage, you should also consider umbrella insurance. This policy is in addition to your business owner’s policy. In the event that your BOP does not fully cover a covered loss — the coverage from an umbrella policy would kick in and contribute to any additional costs such as medical bills and legal fees.
What policies make sense for your specific business? That’s where we come in — Gilbert Insurance agents have been working with artisans and contractors for more than 65 years as trusted advisors. Let us evaluate your needs and find the coverage that works best for you. You can visit our website or call our office at 781-942-2225.